Top 10 Bed and Breakfasts in Charleston SC
Find the perfect Bed and Breakfast in Charleston SC. Compare the best deals, and get information, photos and trusted reviews.
Most Bed and Breakfasts in Charleston SC are owned by an individual or married couple who live on the premises and take care of travelers for a living. B & B's tend to offer unique bedrooms with all the essential amenities, as well as a full hot breakfast each morning. Most serve breakfast in the main dining room where you can enjoy conversation and laughter with other guests. In season, some B & B's serve breakfast on the porch or outside in the open air.
B & B's are not for everyone, but they can be an excellent alternative for individuals who enjoy interacting with their hosts and other guests. Below is a list of advantages and disadvantages to consider when staying in a B&B.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Staying at a Bed and Breakfast in Charleston SC
Advantages of Staying at a Bed and Breakfast in Charleston
- Staying at a Charleston Bed and Breakfast can be a unique experience because no two B & B's are the same and 75% are run out of historic homes
- Food is usually better because it is home cooked and often cooked to order
- More romantic than staying in a hotel
- The personalized attention you get from your hosts including tips on local attractions and restaurants
- The attention to detail - Top notch B & B's will take great pride in the simple things including cleanliness, comfy beds, and quality plush linens
- Many B & B's offer free wine, refreshments, and baked goods
- The chance to meet and share stories with other guests
- Many offer free parking
Disadvantages of Staying at a Bed and Breakfast
- Sometimes you have to share a bathroom with other guests
- Some B & B's have thin walls so the guests next door may hear what you say and do and vice versa
- Breakfast is typically served early so if you like to sleep in, you may miss out
- Sometimes the rooms can be small with little storage or closet space
- You do not always enjoy quite the same freedoms to come and go late at night or hang around the property during the daytime as you might have in a hotel setting
- Because B & B's are privately owned businesses, cancellation policies are usually stricter than those of hotels
Things To Remember
- Always try to book in advance because only about 10% of the rooms in Charleston are B & B's
- The peak season months are September, October, March, April, and May
- When you call to book reservations, you will typically be speaking to the innkeeper, so it never hurts to ask about specials or discounts
- Make special requests before you arrive. If you have certain food allergies, inform the innkeeper when making reservation
- Inquire about the rules when booking. Some innkeepers prohibit smoking and alcohol on the premises
- Many B & B's don't allow children
- Always tip for excellent service
- Moreover, always remember, while you might be paying to stay at a bed and breakfast, you are still ultimately a guest who should respect the rules of the inn
Top 10 Bed and Breakfasts in Charleston SC
1. 22 Charlotte Bed and Breakfast
This centrally located 4-star bed and breakfast is just a short walk from Marion Square, The Charleston Museum, and The College of Charleston. Guests will enjoy free breakfast, WiFi, free parking, and free concierge services.
2. 21 East Battery Bed and Breakfast
This privately-owned bed and breakfast, originally built in 1825, is located within the compound of The Edmondston-Alston House. Guests enjoy private entrances, fresh breakfast each morning, and complimentary tickets to the Edmondston-Alston House Tour.
3. 15 Church Street Bed and Breakfast
The Phillips-Yates-Snowden House, built in the early 1840's, served as a hospital during the Civil War and was struck by four cannonballs. Guests will enjoy delicious food, fine antiques, private baths and true southern hospitality.
4. Two Meeting Street Inn
Two Meeting Street Inn, located at the corner of Meeting Street and South Battery, is considered by many to be the most romantic bed and breakfast in Charleston. Guests will enjoy a hot southern breakfast, afternoon tea with sweets, and evening sherry.
5. The Governor’s House Inn
The Governor's House Inn, built in 1760, is the only house in the United States where you can sleep under the same roof as the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence. Guests will enjoy 4-poster beds, plush bedding, private porches, and complimentary on-site parking.
6. 1837 Bed and Breakfast
1837 Bed and Breakfast is a family owned and operated bed and breakfast built in the early 1800's. Guests will enjoy open piazzas, delicious full breakfast, WiFi, on-site parking and plenty of southern hospitality.
7. Lavender and Lace Bed and Breakfast
The Lavender and Lace Bed and Breakfast, an 1870's Victorian painted lady, is located on a quiet street in the heart of the historic district. This B & B offers 4-poster beds, antiques, on-site parking, private baths and private entrances for all rooms.
8. Cannonboro Inn Bed and Breakfast
This historic Charleston Inn built in 1853, has eleven guest rooms with private baths, cable TV, original heart pine floors, and 10’ ceilings. Amenities include gourmet breakfast, free off-street parking, WiFi, and spacious curved piazzas.
9. Ashley Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Ashley Inn Bed and Breakfast built the in 1830's, offers six guest rooms and one suite. Guests will enjoy luxurious amenities including gourmet breakfast, afternoon tea or wine and homemade treats, free off-street parking, and spacious piazzas.
10. Zero Water Street Bed and Breakfast
Zero Water Street Bed and Breakfast, a grand antebellum mansion built in the mid-1830's, is located on the historic Charleston Battery and has unobstructed views of Charleston Harbor and Fort Sumter. Guests will enjoy the entire third floor suite featuring a private entrance and off-street parking.
Additional Bed and Breakfasts in Charleston SC
Palmers Pinckney Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Palmer's Pinckney Inn Bed and Breakfast is located near the bustling Charleston City Market. Guests can enjoy King size beds, gas fireplaces, on-site parking, and complimentary continental breakfast.
1843 Battery Carriage House Inn
Each of the nine guestrooms at the 1843 Battery Carriage House Inn are gracefully decorated to complement the era. Amenities include comfy bathrobes, a water kettle for coffee or tea, WiFi, complimentary continental breakfast, and free street parking.
27 State Street Bed and Breakfast
27 State Street Bed and Breakfast, originally built as a private residence, dates back to the early 1800's. Guests will enjoy a Continental Breakfast with local fruit and fresh pastries provided by Saffron Bakery served on the veranda, private entrances, flat screen cable TV and complimentary WiFi.
The Belvedere is a recently renovated historic home full of personality and charm. The suites are furnished with comfort in mind to ensure a relaxing experience. Amenities include continental breakfast, plush queen beds, WiFi, cable TV, and Netflix.
Map of Bed and Breakfasts in Charleston SC
Additional Places to Stay in Charleston
Home > Where to Stay in Charleston SC > Bed and Breakfast Charleston SC
Back to the Top
Copyright © 2009-2018 visit-historic-charleston.com