Charleston SC Visitors Guide
Historic Antebellum Mansions, Civil War sites, year round festivals, pristine beaches, barrier islands, and mouthwatering Lowcountry cuisine are just a few of the reasons why Charleston SC is one of America's favorite destinations. Experience this diverse southern city which blends French, English, West African and traditional Southern American cultures into the music, art, food, and lifestyle.
Why Visit Charleston SC?
- Frequently voted one of the most beautiful cities in America
- Ranked by the travel media as one of the top U.S. destinations
- Rich in history - The city where the first shots of the Civil War were fired
- Boasts over 1400 significantly historic buildings
- Stately mansions and vast plantations
- Moss draped tree lined streets
- Emphasis on Southern Hospitality
- Mouthwatering Lowcountry cuisine
- Multitude of shopping options including boutiques, antique shops, and malls
- Nearby white sand beaches
- Year-round festivals and events
Things to do in Charleston SC
- Discover the beauty and character of this historic city by taking a narrated walking tour
- Take in views of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge from Waterfront Park or take a walk or bike ride across the bridge.
- Take a relaxing 30-minute boat ride through Charleston Harbor
- Visit Middleton Place and tour the house museum originally built in 1755 or stroll through America's Oldest Landscaped Gardens
- Visit Fort Sumter where the first shots of the Civil War were fired
- Visit the world's largest naval maritime museum at Patriots Point, where you can tour the USS Yorktown, a massive aircraft carrier
- Visit the South Carolina Aquarium, home to more than 5,000 animals, at the edge of the historic Charleston Harbor
- Visit the funky, laid back Folly Beach where you can take a leisurely walk on the beach or visit the various local shops and restaurants
- Tour original slave cabins at nearby Boone Hall Plantation
- Tour the Edmonston-Alston House, originally built in 1825
- View the massive 400 year old Angel Oak Tree at Angel Oak Park
- Shop for souvenirs, crafts, woven baskets, jewelry, clothing, sweets, and artwork at the historic Old City Market
- Learn about Charleston’s rich history by taking a horse drawn carriage ride
- Take an evening ghost walk to some of the most haunted places in Charleston
Where to Eat, Sleep and Explore in Charleston SC
Find helpful information including area maps, local weather details, and travel guides to help you get to and around Charleston.
Learn More >> Historic Charleston SC
Where to Stay
Find a place to stay in Charleston. From cheap motels to luxury boutique hotels, compare deals, and get helpful information, photos and reviews.
Learn More >> Where to Stay in Charleston SC
Charleston is considered one of the best food cities in the U.S. Choose from high-end restaurants, fast casual dining, or outdoor cafes.
Learn More >> Charleston Restaurants
Fun Things to Do
Charleston has so many fun and interesting things to see and do including tours, museums, plantations, and free attractions.
Learn More >> Things to do in Charleston SC
Back to the Top
Copyright © 2009-2019 visit-historic-charleston.com